The street that would become Calle Florida first appears on a map from 1582, just two years after Juan de Garay founded Buenos Aires. The street was named San José in the mid-18th century and in around 1785 the Spanish viceroy Nicolás del Campo ordered the street to be cobbled.
The streets name was finally changed to Valle de la Florida in 1814, in commoration of a battle against Spanish royal forces in Alto Peru. Parts of the street were pedestianised in 1913, and in 1971 the entire streetwas pedestrianised. At this time it was the most important commercial street in the city. Today it still has many big brand stores, as well as souvenir shops.
See other highlights of the Retiro neighbourhood.