SAN MARTIN 1039
Mercedes Castellanos de Anchorena, owner of the Palacio San Martín, commissioned the building of this church on what was then part of her land and donated it to the Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament. The church was designed by the French architects Coulomb and Chauvet, and was consecrated in 1916. Pope Benedict XV declared it a minor basilica.
The luxuriously decorated church has a large collection of gold and silver, as well as stained glass, marble, blue granite and bronze ornaments and Venetian mosaic. The remains of the church's benefactor rest in the crypt.
See other highlights of the Retiro neighbourhood.