The Order of Friars Minor (Franciscan) was the first to establish itself in the city. The order was founded in 1209 by St Francis of Assisi, the saint whose name Jorge Bergoglio adopted as a symbol and guide on becoming pope.
The first church was built at the start of the 17th century, but the current structure was begun in 1731 with a design by the architect Andrés Blanqui. It was modified in the 20th century under the lead of the architect Sackman. A work designed by Horacio Butler entitled "La glorificación de San Francisco" can be seen in the central nav