Built in 1732, this building was originally the convent of the Recoleto monks - from whom the Recoleta neighbourhood took its name. It later served as a hospital, military barracks, refuge for the homeless and an elderly people's home. It was finally transformed into a cultural center at the end of the 1970s, with renowned architect Clorindo Testa overseeing the refurbishment, mixing Italianate and modernist influences with the original colonial design.
The centers 27 exhibition room, micro-cinema, auditorium and amphitheater are used to stage varied activities, from art exhibitions to concerts, theater performances and other events. There is also an educational space that offers courses and workshops, and a state-of-the-art music studio used for production and investigation.
The center is part of the Museum Mile.