This frigate, launched in 1897, was one of the most advanced of its day. It has an steel hull lined with wood and copper, three masts, and an imposing prow figurehead showing the effigy of the Argentine Republic. The ship was named in honour of President Domingo Faustino Sarmiento, founder of the Argentine Naval Academy. Between 1889 and 1938, it carried out 37 international trips and later served as a practice ship in Argentine waters until 1960. Two years later, it was declared a National Historic Monument.
The ship represented Argentina at many official events, including the coronation of Edward VII of Great Britain in 1902 and the opening of the Panama Canal in 1914.