Juan Bautista de Elorriaga commissioned the building of this house in around 1808. It was one of the first constructions in the city with two floors and is the oldest such building that still survives. The upper floor was designated as the living quarters while the lower floor had commercial spaces. At the time, the river could be seen from the terrace.
This block is one of the few remaining in the city that does not have a bevelled corner.