SANTA FE AV. y MAIPU AV.
Located in Retiro, Plaza San Martín is one of the city’s oldest squares and was the site of several historic events.
A decisive battle took place here during the second British invasion of Buenos Aires in 1807, and, in 1812, General San Martín chose the area to locate the barracks of his mounted granadiers regiment, reason why the square was named Plaza San Martín to mark the centenary of the independence hero’s birth in 1878.
The squares current design owes much to French landscaper Charles Thays, who designed many of Buenos Aires’ parks and squares. As well as containing examples of several native and foreign trees, the square contains several important monuments and sculptures.