The religious school Colegio Máximo de San Ignacio moved to this block in 1662. Later changing its name to Real Colegio San Carlos, it would function here for two centuries until 1863, when the then president Bartolomé Mitre decided that the state would take over the institution, naming it the Colegio Nacional de Buenos Aires.
At the start of the 20th century, the management of the school was transferred to the University of Buenos Aires. The current building was designed by French architect Norberto Maillart in 1918. The school remains one of the city's most prestigious institutions of secondary education.