Student Visas & Immigration Requirements

Info on visas and documentation required to study.

The Argentine Government’s official international students webpage has information in English on immigration requirements for overseas students:

If you’re coming to learn Spanish or tango, you just need a tourist stamp upon arrival

Most nationalities can enter Argentina for up to 90 days without a visa. To find out whether you need a visa to enter Argentina, go to the government’s Immigrations page: The Argentine customs website also has a list of Argentine embassies and consulates abroad:

Citizens from the Mercosur region need only their national ID to enter the country.

Citizens from the United States, Australia and Canada need to pay a reciprocity fee (which is valid for several years) in order to enter the country. Click on this page to find out how: or download the online payment instructions in English below. 

As an enrolled international student, check whether you need a student visa and make sure you have the right documentation on entering the country

Please make sure you check with your academic institution to see whether you require a student visa. Student visas can be obtained after you enter Argentina as a tourist, provided that you have the right documentation. For students staying more than 90 days, a student visa is usually a prerequisite.

Note that student visas are usually only issued for a period of six months, and will need to be renewed if you are planning to stay longer.

Basic requirements for a student visa:

  • A valid passport with the Argentine tourist visa stamp (your passport should be valid up to six months after your expected study completion date) and a photocopy of every page of your passport
  • Two 4×4 photos on a white background
  • Proof of enrollment from the university in Argentina
  • A police certificate showing you have no criminal record in Argentina. This is obtained from your local police station.
  • Payment for the student visa processing fee, payable in cash only

Depending on your nationality, place of study and expected length of stay, you may also be required to present other documentation, such as:

  • Certified copies of your birth certificate
  • Proof of sufficient funds to cover your expenses in Argentina
  • Evidence of sufficient knowledge of Spanish
  • A police certificate of good conduct from the country you last lived in (apostilled, officially translated and legalized by a certified translator of the Colegio de Traductores Públicos de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires.

Scan and bring multiple copies of your passport or identity cards, and extra passport photos

Always handy.  

Some local tips on studying in Argentina:

The Government of the City of Buenos Aires and the City Tourism Office do not take any responsibility for the information provided on the websites listed above.