During the 19th century, Europe developed a taste for the neogothic that reached Buenos Aires towards the end of the period when the city was experiencing a boom in immigration from the old world.
Gothic architecture has a strong religious connection. Building tall was a way of representing the seaech for God in heaven, while immense spaces were seen as reverent. Gothic churches have pointed arches on the facades and vaulted ceilings.
In Buenos Aires, the Iglesia (church) de Santa Cruz, in the San Cristóbal neighbourhood began life in 1893 as a primitive rural chapel of iron, wood and sheet metal, but a year later, thanks to contributions from the local Irish community, the current building was constructed. The neogothic influence can be seen in the ogival arches, the intersection of the two vaults connected by lines, the large stained glass windows, and the rose window on the facade.
On Avenida Las Heras, in the Recoleta neighbourhood, you'll find a neogothic building belonging to the University of Buenos Aires' engineering faculty. The construction was the work of Arturo Prins, with the collaboration of two young Italian architects who later worked on other important buildings in the city, such as Galería Güemes in the case of Francisco Gianotti, and Palacio Barolo in the case of the young assistant Mario Palanti.
When construction began in 1912, the building was intended to house the university's faculty of law, but work failed to progress until 1938, resulting in the law faculty's settling on another site, and the engineering faculty finally taking up residence here in 1950. The building has a large hall and typical neogothic details such as ogival arches, rose windows and pinnacles.
Rhe Haedo family built their petit hotel beside Plaza San Martín in 1881. Designed by Fortunato Passeron, the building has a neogothic facade with ogival arches on the upper windows and the pinnacle on one side. The luxurious interiors feature Slovenian oak, stained glass, stairs of Botticino marble stairs , wooden panelling and oe of the oldest original elevators in Argentina. Since 1942, the building serves as the headquarters for the administration of Argentina's natural parks.